3 February 2013

Joey's bucks day

My dear friend Joey is getting married in just a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, we are going to New Zealand the day before the wedding, so I won't get to be there on the day. At least I'll be there for the crazy bucks day thing, I thought. Joey's plan was for everyone to get inflatable rafts and make our way around the four-hour long Pound Bend in the Yarra - an awesome and potentially hilarious idea. Then on Wednesday I fell over and made a weird hole in my elbow, and the bone was sort of sticking out, then I went to the doctors and fluid sprayed him in the face when he was cleaning the wound. Then I got it stitched up and floating around the Yarra for four hours was not going to happen. Disappointing. Instead, Sam, Jason and I went to meet the motley crew at the end of their journey.

DSCF3373

I'd never been there before; it's a fantastic spot. There's even a tunnel (man-made?) from one side to the other.

DSCF3376

Sam brought a raft from a previous voyage.

DSCF3386

And promptly made himself right at home.

DSCF3403

Jason and I were happy to stay on the banks with our chips and dips.

DSCF3411

Here they come!

DSCF3427

Most were smiling, a few were a bit cold, one was sick and a couple were missing. Andy was in his element.

DSCF3432

It felt a bit like the landing of the first fleet, with all its accompanying horror.

DSCF3435

A few of the more daring members of the party took a couple of runs through the tunnel and the rapids. Cap'n Joey and Julian were caught in a slightly compromising position on their way towards the rapids.

DSCF3439

I think Julian may have actually fallen out a moment after this photo was taken.

DSCF3443

Not Cap'n Joey though! He hung on to the end.

DSCF3451

Dion wasn't looking so flash.

DSCF3452

Group shot. Good one Cap'n Joey!!!

DSCF3454